BEST MANAGEMENT PRACTICES (BMPs)
FOR CONSTRUCTION SITES
by Dr. Kim D. Coder, University of Georgia
List of tree quality BMPs for development sites:
- Know the development and building regulations concerning trees in your area.
- Plan for a cement wash-out pit and designate a chemical holding area, both away from tree protection areas.
- Limit site parking and storage to already damages areas.
- Allow no site-offices, equipment, or material storage in tree protection areas.
- Control and limit on-site soil storage.
- Control and minimize grade changes within tree protection areas.
- Keep refueling and maintenance areas away from trees and native soils.
- Control toilet, lunch, break and burn areas, and associated refuse.
- Allow only two construction access drives to the site – one in, one out.
- Control utility over-head and under-ground corridors.
- Be careful of fire dangers to the site, both during construction and afterwards.
- Use tree protection barriers, wraps, and pads, keeping them in good repair.
- Include contractual penalties in real dollars for tree protection area violations and tree barrier damage. Allow dollars to educate reluctant or tree-illiterate people and companies.